Become Part of Crossroads Farm’s Team!
We are seeking a farmhand to assist with field and greenhouse work. Experience in farming, horticulture, or environmental sciences is a plus, but willingness to work hard, take direction, and learn from our farm managers is essential.
Please read the description below and forward your cover letter/resume in .doc or pdf format to email@example.com. Thank you!
Position: Farmhand – (Full-time –Seasonal – March 2018 through Nov. 2018 – 5 Day Weekly Rotational Schedule)
Reports To: Farm Managers
Works under the direction of the Farm Managers in the day to day farm operations with a concentration on field preparation, cultivation, machine maintenance in accordance with NOFA-NY organic farming guidelines. The Farmhand takes direction from the Farm Managers.
1. Farm Responsibilities
- Seeds and grows in Crossroads Farm’s greenhouse.
- Sows seeds directly in the fields.
- Assists with the maintenance of perennial beds (raspberries, blackberries, strawberries, herbs), the Teaching Garden, and the apple and pear orchard. This includes sowing seeds, weeding, transplanting, pest control and harvesting.
- Informs Farm Managers of crop and field progress and any issues.
- Performs temperature logging of off-site compost used at Crossroads farm per NOFA requirements.
- Willingness to learn and employ biodynamic principles.
- Prepares and applies compost, cover crop and crop rotation plans.
- Plows and prepares fields.
- Operates tractors, tractor-drawn machinery, hog brushes, and other machinery to maintain the farm and fields.
- Able to lift and carry 50 lbs.
- Transplants seedlings in a timely manner.
- Uses appropriate action to control pests and weeds in the fields.
- Irrigates and cultivates crops.
- Harvests vegetables, herbs, berries and fruit in a timely manner.
- Repairs, maintains and stores all necessary farm equipment.
- Performs record keeping tasks related to the farm field and greenhouse operation.
- Must have valid drivers license
2. Development Responsibilities
- Keep abreast of organic farming techniques, local sourcing and sustainable food practices by attending conferences/workshops and reading books and journals available in the farm library.
- The Farm Managers will institute and maintain a system for providing feedback on the job responsibilities and performance of the Farmhand.
- Create and implement a plan for your own growth and development.
|Click donate to make a fully tax-deductible contribution. Or click volunteer to offer your time. Our success depends on you, our extended farm family!|